WHAT IS BARTHOLIN CYST?
Bartholin glands are a pair of small glands that releases a fluid through its ducts into the vagina. This fluid helps in lubricating the vagina. Bartholin cyst occurs when there is blockage in either one or both the openings of these glands, leading to formation of a lump.
Bartholin cyst is more commonly seen in women :
- In their reproductive age group(after menarche, before menopause).
- When they are young and sexually active
- has not become pregnant yet(nulliparous)
- has had just one pregnancy
Sometimes a cyst can become infected and this can lead to formation of an abscess(formation and collection of pus). This cyst/ abscess has a tendency of recurrence.
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
Many bartholin cysts do not cause any symptom, discovered only as small pea sized, painless mass lying just outside the vagina. If/ when its size gets increased, you may notice:
- erythema(redness), near vaginal opening
- Discomfort while sitting and running.
- Painful intercourse
It can occur because of buildup of fluid near the opening of ducts. This leads to blockage and the fluid made further along gets no way to drain out and thus leads to formation of cyst.This cyst at times can get infected and cause abscess formation.
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
The diagnosis is made by the doctor by pelvic examination. Some other tests or a vaginal swab may be advised to rule out the other causes.
Conventional treatment includes use of antibiotics, painkillers and surgical drainage of cyst/ abscess.
Sitz bath: soaking in warm water or applying warm compresses can help the cyst to burst thus preventing formation of abscess. Sexually active people should use condoms. You should clean your perineal area with clean water and avoid use of any chemicals without doctor’s permission.
Homeopathic treatment has a variety of medicines that can help reduce the size of cyst as well as prevent the formation of abscess such as, belladonna, hepar sulph, silicea, nitric acid etc. Apart from this the tendency of recurrence of this cyst can be permanently annihilated by giving the constitutional medicine, without any side effect.
DO’S AND DON’TS
- bathe/ clean your vaginal area with plain, clean water and pat dry gently.
- Wipe yourself from front to back after passing urine or stools.
- Wear clean, cotton underwear instead of synthetic ones.
- Use condoms during sexual intercourse to avoid any STDs.
- Do not use any vaginal medications or deodorants washes.
- Do not use bubble bath, bath oils or highly perfumed bath products.
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothing around the genital area as it can cause friction, decrease circulation and invite infection.
- Do Not use a tampon for more than 4hrs at a time during your periods.