WHAT IS OSTEOPENIA?
Osteopenia is a state of bone between being healthy and having osteoporosis. In osteopenia, your bones get weaker but not to a stage of getting fractured easily. The bone density of your bones gets lesser day by day.
- Aging is the most common risk factor for osteopenia.
- Females are also more prone to developing osteopenia.
- Having a family history of low bone mineral density makes you more susceptible to having it yourself.
- Apart from aging process which naturally decreases our bone density, certain choices and habits accelerating the process include:
- not getting enough calcium and vitamin D
- drinking too much alcohol or caffeine.
- using certain medications, such as corticosteroids and anticonvulsants.
This decrease in the mass, mineralization and strength of the bones over time can cause osteoporosis(a condition in which in which the bones become brittle, weak, and easily damaged or broken).
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
Osteopenia doesn’t usually cause pain or any other symptoms.
It happens when formation of new bone is not proportionate to rate of bone loss.This leads to decrease in bone density.
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
The main test to determine your bone density is called dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA). It measures the mineral content of bone.
The aim of treatment is to keep osteopenia from progressing into osteoporosis.
Various medications along with supplements are given to manage the case. But their long term effects on the body are not known.
- Sufficient intake of calcium and vitamin D, avoiding excessive alcohol, quitting smoking and getting plenty of exercise can help prevent osteopenia.
- You need to be sure you are doing regular weight-bearing exercises and you are getting enough vitamin D and dietary calcium.
Apart from use of constitutional medicines, some commonly used other medicicnes are- calc carb, silicea, calc phos, symphytum etc. These above mentioned medicicnes are to be used only under the guidance of a registered homoeopath.
DO’S AND DON’TS
- Include weight bearing exercises to your routine
- Take adequate amount of calcium and vit D to your diet
Decrease the amount of caffeine, alcohol and smoking.