WHAT IS FIBROMYALGIA ?
Fibromyalgia is a common and chronic syndrome which is seen more in females that causes body pain and mental distress. Musculoskeletal pain is seen in whole body along with weakness, fatigue, mood swings, confusion and memory loss.
Sometimes symptoms can be precipitated by a single event (stress, accident, injury, trauma etc) but the symptoms can build up gradually as well.
- Gender: fibromyalgia is seen more in women than in men.
- Family history: if you have a family history then risk would increase
- Diseases: like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis may also increase risk.
As such no major complications are seen but due to pain the sleep patern is disturbed due to which signs of mental distress may be aggravated. Concentration is also compromised due to lack of sleep.
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
- Pain: widespread pain is seen in the patient which is a dull ache felt almost in whole body. Fibromyalgia mostly covers whole body.
- Stiffness: is seen especially in the morning in the joints and muscles. Sometimes jaw stiffness is also seen.
- Headache: is also a common symptom seen with fibromyalgia.
- Fatigue: patients feel tired all the time and never feel fresh after waking up in the morning.
- Sleep disorders: like restless leg syndrome or apnea is also seen due to lack of sleep.
- Irritable bowel syndrome: may also be seen parallel to fibromyalgia
- Genetic: there may be certain genetic mutations that may make you more susceptible to developing the disorder. Fibromyalgia tends to run in families so if you have a family history of fibromyalgia then chances are more.
- Infections: some illnesses appear to aggravate fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional trauma: sometimes be triggered by a physical trauma, injury, accident
- Psychological stress: may also trigger the condition. So if you have fibromyalgia then stressful situations can make it worse
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
Although no test can diagnose the condition but following tests might help to over rule the other conditions of pain:
- Complete blood count
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- Cyclic citrullinated peptide test
- Thyroid function tests
Fibromyalgia can be diagnosed only on the basis of symptoms when there is pain which covers most of the body and has no other underlying cause defining it.
Conventional treatment for take pain killer medication or antidepressants, physical therapy, antiseizure drugs but these treatments are not permanent and safe. Thus homeopathic treatment is the best treatment for Fibromyalgia.
- Do regular aerobic exercise
- Do stretching in mornings
- Get enough sleep at night
- Take balanced and healthy diet.
- Don’t take stress
- Take proper rest
- Do meditation
There are medicines like rhus tox, ruta grav, rhododendron, arnica, causticum, bryonia, cimicifuga But medicine depends on the presentation of the case and should never be taken without consulting a registered homeopath. Homeopathy has permanent cure for Fibromyalgia.
DO’s AND DON’Ts
- Balanced healthy diet.
- Do regular exercise
- Rest properly
- Do meditation
- Don’t take stress.