WHAT IS MENOPAUSAL SYNDROME ?
Menopausal syndrome is not a disease ,it is the natural process of ageing in females .in this condition the menstrual cycle or fertility periods ends.
It is not happen suddenly, it is slow developing process
If menopause occurs before the age of 40 it is considered early menopause or induced menopause and it occurs due to underlying cause.
If the menopause occurs after the age of 40 it is considered normal but if it occur before 40 it premature menopause and it is triggered by some factors
- Family history -any women having a family history of early menopause,these women are more prone for developing early menopause.
- Some medications who reduce the level of estrogen level can induce the early menopause
- Autoimmune disease such as thyroid
- Turner syndrome
Although menopause is a natural phenomena but after menopause women faced many complications such as
- Osteoporosis-in early phase of menopause ,bones become weak and lose bone density ,it increases the risk of developing osteoporosis
- Cancer-the cases of breast cancer is more common in women who have reached menopause.cancer of reproductive part is also common such as CA of cervix .
- Urinary incontinence-at the menopause stage the vaginal and urethral party lost its elasticity ,and as a result female faced problems such as loss of control in urination ,involuntary loss of urine ,urine passed out during coughing ,sneezing or lifting of any heavy weight ,frequent and sudden urge for urination.
- Cardiovascular –as the menopause phase the level of estrogen drops it lead to various cardiovascular diseases .
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSE
Menopause is not happen suddenly ,it may run up to months or year
Initial symptoms are
- Irregular menses -initial the regular menstrual cycle become irregular like menses may come early as come within week or some female ,may experience delay in menses like menses can skip upto 2 or 3 months ,gradually this time increase .
- Symptoms related to female gential parts-some women may experince varous problmes in gential area such as itchung ,dryness discomfort ,may feel excessive pain during sex (this pain occur due to low level of estrogen,it lead to vaginal inflammtion and as a result decreased in lubrication )
- Hot flashes -hot flushes is very common symptoms in menopause ,it is the feeling of hotness in body it happen suddenly generally it happen in the upper part of the body such as face, neck or chest and gradually reached in mower part of body .
- Cognitive function-menopause lead impact on memory ,some time female experience easy forgetfulness ,facing difficulty in focus on work, loss of concentration .
- Mental problems – sometimes female become irritable , facing mood swings,sleep disturbance ,anxiety, depression ,due to low sexual power feel depression at this stage
- Urinary problems -at this time female become ,more prone for UTI,other pelvic inflammatory condition such as cystitis ,and urinary incontinence ,lack of control of urination.
- Pregnancy – at menopause the estrogen level becomes slow it lead to less chances of pregnancy
- Night sweet -if the hot flashes occur at night during sleep it called night sweet sometime during hot flashes women experience episodes of drenching sweats at night at night during sleep .
- Insomnia– disturbance in sleep lead to insomnia
- Obesity -obesity is more common at this stage,because the metabolic system become slow.
- Hair Loss and thinning of hair
- The size of breast become small due to shrinkage
- Pain in joints
- Skin becomes dry and wrinkles.
All these problems may gradually decrease with in 2 to 5 year.sometime it may persist for a long time but it is not so much dangerous .
Ovaries is the part of the female reproductive part it releases the egg into the fallopian tube and also release the hormone which is necessary for the menstrual cycle.
Ovaries release estrogen ,progesterone and testosterone.
These are two hormones which regulate the menstrual cycle these are estrogen and progesterone if the level of these hormones is disturbed it leads to menopause
Natural -Menopause is the natural phenomena in women’s life but menopause occur due to loss of estrogen ,it mainly occurs after the age of 45 , but there is no fixed age for this but it generally occur after 40 .
After 30 the release of estrogen level(regulate the menstrual cycle ) from the ovary become less ,when the women reach the age of 40 ,irregularity in the periods start and finally at the age of 50 ovaries stop producing egg ,and no more periods occur
If the menopause occurs before the age of 40 it is considered as a premature menopause ,it is occur due to such reasons
- Therapy induced -Some time menopause occur due to various treatments ,such as chemotherapy and pelvic radiation therapy .it is called induced menopause
- Hysterectomy -during hysterectomy if only the uterus is removed it lead to gradual development of menopausal symptoms because egg is still release and produce estrogen and progesterone ,but if both ovaries and uterus is removed during surgery it lead to immediately stop of period
- Premature ovarian failure -if the ovary lose its function early or when ovaries fail to produce normal levels of reproductive hormones, it lead to early menopause
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
- Generally it is diagnosed when any women not had a menstrual period for one year without any underlying cause
- Diagnosis is also made by asking some general questions such as pattern of menstrual cycle ,or any family history of early menopause
- Hormonal test-to diagnosis menopause FSH and estrogen level is tested,during menopause the level of FSH increase and estrogen level is decreased.
- TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone ) is also check to rule out the hypothyroisud because it resembles the same symptoms as menopause
- picoAMH Elisa test -it is done to measure the amount of anti-mullerian hormone in blood ,through this test doctor can determine when you will enter menopause .
- Blood test -CBC to rule out the anemia
- If there is no symptoms then no need to take medicine because it is a natural process.
- The conventional treatment for menopausal syndrome are hormone replacement therapy it include supplements of estrogen and progesterone hormone,some time oral contraceptives also advise
- Sometimes doctors also recommend the antidepressants drugs .
- Symptomatic medications are available such as ,Medications for hot flushes such as gabapentin medication for vaginal symptoms are anti fungal treatment .
- Supplements for the anaemia and calcium
- This condition is well managed by homoeopathy without any side effects because other medicine gives you temporary relief
- Eat less but in a healthy manner because at this age the metabolic system become slow so if females eat more it lead to obesity
- Do exercise daily ,it reduces the risk of heart disease ,strong your bones
- Maintain healthy weight because it can lead to various health issues
- Avoid smoking and alcohol because it increases your risk of developing heart disease twice
- Find the other underlying diseases and treat them, such as diabetes ,high cholesterol ,high blood pressure, because all these are risk factors of the heart disease
- Drink lots of water it improve your hot flushes
- Should expose your body to sunlight because it decreases the risk of osteoporosis
- Womens can take calcium supplements but it is better to take more calcium from the natural diet
- Avoid excessive physical exertion
- Avoid tight clothing
- Limit the consumption of spicy food ,caffeine and alcohol
- Avoid stress
- Always Maintain cool and comfort temperature in room because it reduce the hot flushes ,anxiety .
- Maintain normal sleep cycle ,always go and wake up at fix time
- Homeopathy is a good option for managing the symptoms of menopause,there are various medicines which can easily manage the hot flushes,weakness ,trembin mood swings
- Constitutional medicine can help you very well and also reduce the complications ,but never take medicine without proper consultation from the registered homeopathic physician
- There are homeopathic medicine are lachesis ,sepia,sulphuric acid,folliculim, lycopodium,calcarea carb,pulsatilla .
- These medicine act on body internally and give safe and effective results
DO’S AND DON’TS
- Take healthy diet ,which is rich in calcium
- Take exercise daily
- No need to apnic it is natural phenomena of the aging
- Drink lots of water ,keep hydrated
- Take proper sleep
- Maintain or fix the sleeping or waking time
- Always spend time in sun rays especially in morning
- Maintain healthy weight
- Avoid stress
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Avoid to stay in less ventilated area
- Avoid wearing tight clothing
- Avoid spicy and junk food